In kiteboarding, most of the accidents happen when launching and landing a kite. For that reason, it is really important that you know how to launch a kite safely. If you want to learn how to launch a kite, then you should definitely try it with an experienced kiteboarding instructor that will make sure that everything goes smoothly and that you have all the knowledge on how to launch a kite safely.
How to launch a kite in 5 easy steps:
1. Make sure that you have a safe environment to launch your kite. You should be away from any dangers. For example, you don’t want to be close to any power line, trees, big rocks or any other thing that is considered dangerous.
2. Set up your kite with the lines downwind of your kite. Find an assistant to get to your kite. Connect yourself to the bar and your assistant should place your kite in the C position.
3. Start walking upwind, keep some tension in both of your center lines. At that point, if the wind is strong, you can depower your kite, but not completely, as this will make your kite harder to steer.
4. Your next goal is to have your kite on the edge of the wind window, at 3 or 9 o’clock. While walking upwind, always look at your kite. It should be flapping. As soon as your kite is on the edge of the wind window, it will power up and stop flapping. When it is the case, it means that your kite is at the right spot to be launch.
5. The last step is for you to make sure that everything is good with your kite. Most importantly, make sure that your lines and bridles are not tangled anywhere. Then look around one last time and make sure that there is no other kite too close or in your way. Whenever you are ready, do a “thumbs up” to your assistant and he should let go of your kite. You can now slowly bring your kite up and get to the water.